TEAM SELECTION POLICY
(Updated August 2011)
of the Selection Policy
1. To ensure consistency with the aims of the Club and the League. OWFC
will encourage players to play for the Club, rather than a team.
2. To fulfil all fixtures, with each team selected according to correct
3. To ensure all players are treated fairly.
4. To select sides in strength order from the 1st Team downwards.
5. To encourage movement between the teams, thus reducing any team squad
The following guidelines are to be abided by all Captains and players.
They have been developed and agreed by the current Captains and the Club
Guideline number of Players to be selected on the
The normal number of players to be selected for each team will be 13.
Any side playing in a cup quarter final or beyond may select up to 14
1. Initial selection will take place on Saturday evening. All Captains
will give their selections to the Team Secretary, who will then draw
up a Provisional Team List.
2. Any player who is dropped from, or called up to, a side will start
the game for the new side. No regular player should be dropped or called
up more than 1 team.
3. Players must be willing to play for higher or lower sides as selected.
4. Captains should provide by midday Monday any minor
changes to selection (injuries, etc…). Teamsheets will be issued
by midday Tuesday with the captain’s best team selected.
5. Once all team places are full, all remaining players form an ‘Extras’
6. (i) During the period from midday Tuesday to Thursday 7pm:
- any players dropping out should inform their captain. He will then
inform the Team Secretary, who will record their names. Captains should
consider accepting a reduction of 1 player from the teamsheet. Captains
may replace any drop outs arising by either; -
a player up from the team below, or
a player from the Extras pool.
6. (ii) From Thursday 7pm, any players dropping out should
inform their Captain AND the Team Secretary, who will
record this information. Any player dropping out at this stage will automatically
be placed in the Extras pool the following week, unless otherwise agreed
by the Team Secretary.
7. From Thursday 7pm, for any drop outs that cannot be
replaced by Extras players, the Captain will be responsible for replacing
the player lost. Other Captains are not obliged to give up players after
this deadline, although mutual support between Captains to help each other
in such circumstances will always be encouraged.
8. If a team (other than the lowest) is struggling for players after the
Thursday 7pm deadline and Captains cannot mutually resolve any team shortfalls
then the Chairman and Team Secretary will make a final decision regarding
9. The Chairman (or Vice Chairman in his absence) shall have the final
say in the event of any dispute over player selection.
10. Full player Selection Meetings will be held on a regular basis, chaired
by the Team Secretary and attended by the Chairman, Vice Chairman, with
the following agenda:
of each team’s current performance
Selection of players to individual teams
of drop outs
Review of non payers
Any players who are concerns either regarding their availability or the
prompt payment of subs will be discussed at Committee Meetings. In some
cases, the Team Secretary may wish to see the player in person to discuss
12. Any Captain may raise concerns at the Club Committee and any player
may raise concerns with any Club Committee Member.